The Hospital District of Southwest Finland is a municipal federation consisting of 29 cities and municipalities, as well as the University of Turku.
There are 24 health care centres in the district and the population base amounts to about 460 000.
The Hospital District provides specialized health care services in a university hospital, three district hospitals and two psychiatric hospitals with a total capacity of 1 370 patients.
There are about 6 500 held vacancies within the Hospital District. At the District’s hospitals there are annually about 700 000 outpatient calls, about 350 000 care days and 38 000 surgical procedures (in 2010).
The operative idea and services
The Hospital District arranges for specialized health care services within its own district as stipulated by law.
Additionally the Hospital District sees to the availability of, by law stipulated, highly specialized health care within their area of special responsibility, to which in addition to Varsinais-Suomi Satakunta is also counted.
The Hospital District also sells services to other clients. The The Hospital District´s hospitals are also used for education and scientific research.
Member cities and municipalities
- Koski tl
In addition the University of Turku is a member of the municipal federation.
Hospitals and operative units
The Turku-based Main Hospital and Surgical Hospital, as well as Paimio Hospital, Raisio Hospital and Vakka-Suomi Hospital are parts of the Turku University Hospital.
Other hospitals are the Loimaa District Hospital, the Salo District Hospital and Åboland Hospital (part of which is also the Åboland Mental Health Centre in Pargas).
Additionally the Hospital District has psychiatric hospitals in Halikko and Uusikaupunki, as well as two service units providing for the entire district – the public utility Tyks-Sapa and the Psychiatry Division of the HDSWF.
Hospital operations in Finland began in 1756, when the King of Sweden Adolf Frederick founded the Turku Lazaret. Having developed from the Lazaret into a university hospital, the Turku University Hospital is Finland’s oldest continuously operating hospital, and in December 2006 it was 250 years since it was founded.
- 1756 King of Sweden Adolf Frederick signed the document for founding the Turku Lazaret (Provincial Hospital) on December 17th.
- 1759 Operations at the Turku Lazaret begun on the corner of contemporary Läntinen Rantakatu and Eskelinkatu.
- 1784 The hospital moved to the corner of contemporary Sairashuoneenkatu and Linnankatu.
- 1881 The hospital moved to the Kiinamyllynmäki Hill in Turku.
- 1943 The Turku Provincial Hospital became a university hospital with education.
- 1958 The current Turku University Hospital was born with the founding of the Federation of the Turku University Central Hospital and the Provincial Hospital’s ownership was shifted from the government to the municipalities.
- 1987 The Paimio Hospital was annexed to the Turku University Hospital.
- 1991 The Hospital District of Southwest Finland was founded.
- 2001 The administrations of the Turku University Hospital and the Hospital District of Southwest Finland were joined.
- 2003 The Raisio Hospital was annexed to the Turku University Hospital.
- 2004 The Turku Surgical Hospital was annexed to the Turku University Hospital.
- 2007 The Vakka-Suomi Hospital in Uusikaupunki was annexed to the Turku University Hospital.