Turku Lazaret Museum
The goal of the Turku Lazaret Museum is to record the history of the oldest hospital in Finland, functional without interruptions since 1759, as well as to preserve its equipment and to collect folklore of the hospital.
Welcome to the 40-year-old Turku Lazaret Museum!
The museum is open every first Monday of each month from 2 pm to 6 pm and for groups by separate agreement.
Visiting the museum and guidance around the museum is free.
Guidance and additional information:
museum curator Anna-Maria Niinikoski
tel. 050 571 4030
General overview of the museum
The Turku Lazaret Museum was established on October 30th 1974. The efforts of the teaching nurse of the surgical clinic, Maija Jansén, were essential in setting up the museum's activity. The museum began its activity in the old gatekeeper lodge on the Kiinamylly hill in 1975.
There are several old hospitals in the modern hospital district area. In addition to Turku, there are museum collections from the Loimaa regional hospital as well as Paimio and Halikko hospitals. The museum activity in the hospital district is overseen by the museum committee of the Hospital District of Southwest Finland.
The Turku Lazaret Museum is a member museum of the Varsinais-Suomen museot ry (Society for the museums of Southwest Finland).
From a Lazaret to a University Hospital
Pictured: children and nurses in an early 20th century bandaging room. The children's slippers pictured can be found in the museum collections.
Turku University Hospital, originally Turku Lazaret, is the oldest continuously functional hospital in Finland. The Swedish king Adolf Frederick signed the lazaret charter December 17th 1756 and the opening ceremony of the 9-bed curing room of the diseased was held in a festive atmosphere along the shores of the river Aura on June 6th 1759. The first four patients had already been admitted earlier in the springtime.
The hospital has located in several buildings along the river Aura. In 1784, the hospital moved to the log building in the corner of the contemporary Linnankatu and Sairashuoneenkatu. After the mid-19th century the provincial hospital was located for a quarter century in the so called stone garrison near the contemporary Martinsilta. Towards the end of the 19th century, the name of the hospital was established as "Läänin yleinen sairaala" (General Provincial Hospital) and later as "Turun lääninsairaala" (Turku Provincial Hospital).
The Turku Provincial Hospital moved to the Kiinamylly hill in 1881. Most of the buildings built back then are still in use. The hospital became a University Hospital in 1958.
You can get to know the hospital's history better in the Turku Lazaret Museum located along Kiinamyllynkatu in the old gatekeeper lodge (building 13).