Become acquainted with our operation:
Our results of treating premature infants and other infants requiring hospital care are excellent - according to international comparison, among the best in the world (Vermont-Oxford Network, 2012).
We are pioneers in family-centred treatment: the whole staff of the neonatal intensive care ward has been trained in the individual consideration of the infant and the parents and in the appreciation of co-operation based on the Close Collaboration with the Parents -training program. We also educate the staff of other hospitals. We are the first ward in Finland to offer intensive care in family rooms. The child's right to be near his/her parents is our basic principle.
Our staff is very committed to their jobs and motivated in the constant development of their expertise. Our expertise is continuously updated.
We also conduct various studies of low birth weight risk infants. More information about our studies can be found on the study's own web site.
Meet our doctors
MD, professor, paediatrician, neonatology, head of department, head of section, Tyks, Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine
Professor of paediatrics, University of Turku
• Special qualifications in: The treatment and development of treatment of premature infants, enhancing the prognosis of premature infants, family-centred treatment, cost-efficient treatment
• Publication areas: The treatment and prognosis of premature infants, family-centred treatment, organising premature infant treatment, colic babies, the sleep and behaviour of babies
MD, paediatrician, neonatologist
• Special qualifications in: Resuscitation and initial treatment of infants, rooming in, simulation education
• Publication areas: Pulmonary diseases of infants
MD, docent, paediatrician, neonatologist, clinical educator
• Special qualifications in: Premature infant follow-up, neonatal intensive care, the health of children adopted from abroad
• Publication areas: the nutrition, growth and prevention of cardiac diseases of small children, premature infant growth, follow-up and brain imaging, the health and welfare of adopted children
MD, docent, paediatrician, neonatologist, Junor Group Leader, Turku Collegium for Science and Medicine, clinical educator, paediatrics (on leave of absence), University of Turku
• Special qualifications in: The nutrition of infants, breast feeding, probiotics
• Publication areas: The effect on health of early micro-organism contact, probiotics, early prevention of allergies and infections, the protective effects of breast feeding
|||Hanna Soukka |
MD, docent, paediatrician, neonatologist, simulation director
• Special qualifications in: pulmonary development and breathing physiology, resuscitation of infants, simulation education
• Publication areas: pulmonary development of infants and foetuses
Heads of nursing staff
|||Elina Hiltunen |
Section co-ordinator, ward manager
tel. 02 313 2508
|||Anne Kellokangas |
Assistant ward manager
tel. 02 313 8690
Assistant ward manager
tel. 02 313 9413