Skip menus

 Foreign Patients in Finland

The emergency number in Finland is 112

See more about when to call 112 .

Useful links​

First Aid Instructions

Instructions on how to perform first aid by the Finnish Red Cross.

Public Service Info

Assistance by phone to the users of public services.

Finland in your language

Information about moving to Finland and living and working here.


The Social Insurance Institution of Finland

The City of Turku

Information about living in Turku and the city's health, social and other services.

The Info Bank of the Hospital District

Information about the treatments and examination provided by the hospital district. Mainly in Finnish and in Swedish.

Poison Information Centre (in Finnish)

The contact information of the national Poison Information Centre of HUS, tel. 09 471 977.

 Foreign Patients in Finland

  • Healthcare System
  • Language Services
  • Patient's Background

​The Finnish Healthcare system is primarily funded by public tax revenue, apart from the patient fees defined in the Act and Decree on Social and Health Care Client Fees (734/1992, Finlex, In Finnish). See the client fees of the hospital district. You need a municipality of residence in Finland to be eligible to use public health services. Emergency services are always available to everyone.  

Kela card & the E112 form 

All permanent residents of Finland are issued a personal health insurance card (Kela card). Your Kela card indicates that you are covered by the National Health Insurance (NHI) and you can get a direct, on-the-spot reimbursement for your costs. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) can be issued to anyone within the Finnish NHI, but not all doctors and hospitals in Finland operate within the EHIC reimbursement system. Most public health services can be reimbursed with EHIC. See more about European Health Insurance Card on the Kela web site. 

If you are visiting Finland from another Nordic or EU/EEA country or Switzerland for the specific purpose of receiving medical care here, you need an E112 or S2 form issued by the equivalent authority in your home country.  See the extensive info package about medical treatment when moving to Finland on the Kela web site. A summary about various patient backgrounds and their effect on eligibility for receiving medical care in Finland can be found in the Patient's Background tab of this page.

Primary and secondary health care

When you require non-urgent medical care in Finland, you should primarily seek treatment in your local health centre (terveyskeskus/terveysasema, primary health care), from where you can receive a referral to a regional or a university hospital (secondary health care). Most health centres employ nurses and general practitioners, whereas hospitals tend to employ nurses and specialist or specialising doctors.  

Private health services

The private sector of healthcare in Finland is relatively small compared to the public sector, and it is often focused on outpatient care. The most often used private health services are physiotherapy, dentistry and occupational medicine. There are several private hospitals in Turku, and a significant part of the costs can be reimbursed from Kela. See more about reimbursement.

The official languages used in Finland are Finnish and Swedish, and we can guarantee treatment in these languages only. We do our best to serve you in English or your mother tongue as well, but in many cases the services of an interpreter are required.


If you are unable to find a common language with your attending doctor or nurse, an interpreter from the Turku Region Interpretation Centre (page is in Finnish) can be arranged. The staff of your treatment unit will book the interpreter for you by their own assessment. The Centre arranges interpretation to and from these languages (page is in Finnish). Interpretation services in other languages can be arranged by separate agreement. The interpretation services are completely free for the patient, and the interpreter is sworn to secrecy and thus cannot disclose any information regarding you or your treatment.

Translation services of the hospital district

The hospital district has its own translation services, who translate patient documents and instructions and referrals from Finnish to Swedish. Translation services to English or other languages are not currently provided by the hospital district.

You need to have a municipality of residence in Finland to have access to public health care services. If you are a resident of a Finnish municipality, you have the same access to public healthcare and will be charged the same fees as other local residents, and your home country or nationality do not matter. If you are not a resident of a Finnish municipality, various factors, such as your home country, your residence or temporary/permanent stay in Finland and your possible assignments to Finland may affect your eligibility or the fees collected from you. Emergency health services are always available to all, but the actual treatment costs may be collected from you. See more about the municipality of residence on the Local Register Offices' web site

Most of the information presented in this page is retrieved from the Infopankki service and edited to fit the local needs of the hospital district area.  

Nordic citizens

People covered by a health insurance in another Nordic country are subject to the same fees and admission criteria as Finns, as long as they can present a valid identification certificate. 

Citizens of EU/EEA and Switzerland

Citizens of other EU/EEA countries and Switzerland who are covered by a health insurance in their own country are eligible for essential health care in Finland, as long as they can present an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). You are eligible for treatment related to pregnancy and childbirth with the same fees that apply to Finns if you have the card. 

Employees and entrepreneurs

Depending on the duration and type of contract you have in Finland, you may be eligible for public health services. Employers in Finland have the duty to arrange preventive healthcare to their employees. In most cases, people employed in Finland for longer than four months are considered to be covered by the Finnish social security system. Trainees and au pairs and other short-term or low-pay workers are generally not considered to be meeting the conditions of regarding the terms of employment. See more about such criteria and conditions on the Kela web site


If you come to study in Finland outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland area, you will most likely need a comprehensive national health insurance from your home country before you can get a residence permit in Finland. If your studies last for more than two years, you will usually receive a residence permit and be eligible for municipal health care. Student health care in Finland is organised by the Finnish Student Health Services (FSHS), and you can find more information about your eligibility for student health care on the FSHS web site. The FSHS is located at Kirkkotie 13 in Turku. 

Refugees and asylum seekers

If you have come to Finland as a United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees designated refugee, you will automatically be assigned a municipality of residence and have access to public health care services. If you are an asylum seeker and your application has not been processed, you cannot register as a resident of a municipality and cannot use public health services. Ask for more information in your reception centre. 

Undocumented migrants

The Global Clinic serves patients who are undocumented migrants and are not entitled to public health care in Finland. The clinic operates in Turku as well, but the location and opening hours are not disclosed to the public to protect the patients of the clinic. The services of the clinic are free of charge to the patient and the patient's information is not distributed to any other authorities, such as the police or immigration services. 

The contact information of the Global Clinic.

Päivitetty: 18/06/2021 08:07