Paediatric Surgery and Orthopaedics
Our treatment of children is family-centred and of high quality in every sector of paediatric surgery. Many procedures are performed day surgically, and one of the child's parents can be supporting the child all day long. The parent has access to the operating room during the initial phase of anaesthesia, and to the recovery room after the operation.
Most of the paediatric spinal fusions and verberectomies of Finland are performed in our unit.*
The results of operated children with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis are excellent: over 70% of malpositions are corrected while less than 0.2% patients have neurological complications and less than 1% patients suffer from infections. **
We have the national responsibility of organising certain research in the research group of children's orthopaedic conditions, for example studying the prognosis and treatment of malignant bone tumours, frequency of deformities in children's musculoskeletal systems, risk factors, the effects of treatment in the research.
The national centre of excellence for children's orthopaedics and traumatology is also located in Tyks.
* Study: J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012;94(7): 950-5.
**Recent international study: Spine 2013;38:1576-83. compared to the global average of 62%/JBJS 2011: J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011;93:1227-34.
Meet our paediatric surgeons
MD, docent, specialist physician, surgery, paediatric surgery, orthopaedics and traumatology, special qualifications in paediatric orthopaedics and traumatology, responsible for paediatric pelvic and lower limb surgery, head of education for paediatric orthopaedics
• Special qualifications in: Paediatric traumatology, paediatric back disorders, paediatric and adolescent sports injuries
• Publication areas: Fracture treatment guide in Finnish, publications about wound healing, paediatric traumatology and scoliosis surgery
MD, professor, specialist physician, surgery, orthopaedics, traumatology, paediatric surgery, head of department, paediatric surgery, special qualifications in paediatric orthopaedics and traumatology, head of the centre of excellence for paediatric orthopaedics and traumatology, head of the national paediatric orthopaedics research group
• Special qualifications in: Back disorders of children (including the cervical spine), tumours in the musculoskeletal system, developmental disorders of skeletal system, children's injuries
• Publications: about 100 original articles, 13 summaries
MD, PhD, Paediatric surgeon
Paediatric urology, paediatric gastrointestinal surgery, laparoscopic surgery and craniosynostoses.
- Publications on paediatric surgery, paediatric urology, and the outcome and organization of care of very preterm infants
Heads of our nursing staff
tel. 02 313 8481